Sliding Scale Policy
Privilege-based Sliding Scale
In an effort to help meet the needs of our fiber community, I am implementing a sliding scale policy on all of our products. My current pricing structure is based on my commitment to keep production as local as possible, utilize quality materials and fairly compensate people that I work with. I feel confident that our products are of the highest quality and will last a good long time! However, I also want to ensure that there is accessibility to our product line for everyone who has an interest and I am experimenting with the following to help make that possible.
Please review the guidelines and know that this scale is intended to be a starting point, inviting each of us to take inventory of our financial resources and look deeper at our levels of privilege. It is a way to challenge the classist and capitalist society we live in and work towards economic justice on a local level. It asks us to deeply evaluate and consider more than just income level. While I ask you to take these factors into consideration, please don’t stress about it. Pay what feels right. I will not ask questions or quiz you on your payment choices!
Consider paying less on the scale if you:
- are a person who experiences discrimination and/or violence related to systematic oppression
- have medical expenses not covered by insurance
- have medical expenses, been denied work, or experience discrimination related to ableism
- are eligible for public assistance
- have immigration-related expenses
- are a sex worker who experiences occupational discrimination (personal or legislative)
- are an unpaid community organizer
- are a returning citizen who has been denied work due to incarceration history
- are supporting children or have other dependents
- are an elder with limited financial support
Consider paying more on the scale if you:
- own the home you live in
- have investments, retirement accounts, or inherited money
- travel recreationally
- have access to family money and resources in times of need
- work part time by choice
- have a relatively high degree of earning power due to level of education, gender privilege, racial privilege, thin privilege, class background, etc. Even if you are not currently exercising your earning power, I ask you to recognize this as a choice.
I do acknowledge that the low end of the scale might still not be affordable for some. Please understand that I am offering a model that I feel is sustainable for my small business. Ritual Dyes operates as a product-based business which is a departure from some of the businesses that I adapted this model from. I may need to adjust this with limits on usage per month or +/- to percentages offered to reflect this. I consider this a work in progress.
Range on sliding scale:
High - 100% (default on all orders placed)
Medium - 85% (use code MEDIUM)
Low - 75% (use code LOW)
[Sliding scale description adapted with permission from Little Red Bird Botanicals via Underground Alchemy and from AB Tattoo and Zenger Farms ]