Homestead EU Linen Fabric from Merchant & Mills
This product is currently sold out.
European laundered linen, tumbled at the mill for softness from Merchant & Mills. A go-to fabric for garments, it softens with wear.
This linen is produced in small batches in Eastern Europe where there is a strong heritage of spinning and weaving linen fabric.
- 5.9 oz 100% linen
- 58" wide (148 cm)
- Olive brown and pale lilac.
- Check size: 1.25cm x 1.25cm.
- Pattern repeat: 2.5cm.
- Produced in small batches in Eastern Europe made by a mill who uses electricity supplied solely from renewable energy sources and OEKO Tex certified.
- Naturally stain resistant, eco-friendly and moth repellent
- Sold in 1/2 yard increments (for example: if you want 1.5 yds of fabric order a quantity of 3 and you will receive one cut piece of 1.5 yds total)
Flax is a strong plant best grown in northern Europe. It needs little or no fertilizers and due to the local climate, little extra water. It doesn’t really require many pesticides either as it can grow in poor quality soil. The Advisory Commission Report to the European Parliament stated that flax cultivation has positive effects on eco-system diversity as it allows for an “environmental pause”. One hectare of flax can retain 3.7 tonnes of CO2. Every part of the plant is used, what isn’t used to produce linen can be used to make linseed oil, paper, cattle feed or even soap.
Linen is therefore almost naturally organic. It is completely biodegradable, recyclable and due to its natural absorbency, it requires less dye than cotton. Linen therefore scores high on the ecological chart.
Wash warm with a non bio detergent. Do not tumble. Shake out and dry flat. Linen will always seize up after washing but as soon as you start to use/wear it the fibers relax again.
Add coordinating thread from Gutermann (Sew-All Polyester, 100m/110yds)
**Please note that once cut, fabric is non-returnable. Listing is for 1/2 yard increment. Order the amount you want cut in one piece.**